Monday, August 30, 2010

Introduction

My name is Rachel.  I fear that anything that I have to tell you about myself, aside from that one immutable fact, is probably extraneous to the purpose of this blog.

I feel that media technology has, or can have, a multitude of different roles when it comes to teaching, and it is truly at the discretion of the operative in charge to determine to what end they utilize it.  For example, a teacher that wishes students to find articles from an online database to study can easily do so through many programs now available from universities and libraries worldwide, though this hardly seems the most innovative use of an ever-expanding, multi-purpose tool.  There are almost boundless uses for the internet, and countless items to be found within (or is it on?) for the purpose of teaching.  In my own experience, it seems that teachers less familiar with the internet tend to assign obscure, confusing assignments that require locating arcane texts online, and those familiar with internet news sources, databases, and otherwise often assign work that is relevant and interesting both.

To wit, I have never kept a blog for a class before...

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on technology having a "multitude of roles" within teaching. It seems like your only experience with the advantages technology has to offer has been limited to search and retirement and old text. Am I right? Or do you have any positive experiences where you or other students have gained knowledge? Examples such as videos teachers have retrieved offline to educate you or news broadcast for gaining facts.
    What would you classify as an innovative way of using media technology in the education system? Sorry for all the questions but I am curious of what of others view on this matter. I like how you say when a teacher uses the tools directly it can be interesting, because I too agree this source of educating truly help engage students through a different criteria.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we all need practice in learing how the interent and outside databases work. When technology is used in a good way, it can enhance the learing process and stimulate students in a positive way. In my experience, I have notice that teachers who do not know how to use the internet give assignments that require additional research. I also think that if technology is used in the right way so much can be done and students will be able to benefit; learning can be enhanced to even a higher level. Rachel, I agree with you when you express the roles of technology and how it is at the discrection of the person who is in charge. He/she can play a big role in how technology can be used by teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to throw in my agreement echo. I think the more we learn about new avenues of teaching and technology associated with, the more options we have. We may decide to not necessarily harness some of these but at least it's there and can guide students if they decide to use some of these tools on their own. Everyone has their way of gaining knowledge and the more tools under our belts the better we can meet the need of the individual student vs just teaching to the masses. There's nothing worse then an ignorant teacher when the tools are out there and available to easily be absorbed. No one stops learning especially teachers.

    ReplyDelete